Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New Apartment

Since camp has finished I’ve spent most of my time in my new apartment: my new apartment that has running water, a bathroom, a toilet that flushes, a bathtub, and internet. It’s quite an upgrade from my previous abode. With my free time I’ve been doing a lot of reading, writing, and studying a little bit of Russian here and there. Due to it being summertime and hence the lack of work, life has consisted mostly of a daily routine of trying to figure out what to eat, cooking, doing laundry, walking around town, reading, writing, playing my guitar, surfing the internet, etc. Here are some pictures of my new apartment:







I got a care package from my parents, which I was really excited about. It contained a football (American) and pump, a bottle of sriracha, gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), some USB flash drives, a t-shirt, and a DVD from my grandmother’s funeral.

This made me very, very happy:



So far I’d only used the gochujang for two things: dalk doh li tang (spicy chicken and potato stew) and sauce for my bon chon chicken.

Owing to the need for some more flavor, having a lot of time on my hands, and a hint of boldness, I decided that I was going to make bon chon chicken (or try to). So I made a deep fryer out of my pot by pouring sunflower oil into it and heating it up. Here were the results:

Garlic Soy



Gochujang



It wasn’t bad for the first time. I’ll need to tweak the recipe a little bit but it’s nothing a little trial and error can’t fix. To throw away the oil after one use I thought would be wasteful, so I decided to make fries. Oh it was delicious. I used this recipe. The joys of deep frying:



Served with a lovely tomato aioli.

No comments:

Post a Comment