Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Haircut

A few weeks ago I was back at my site for a few days due to an intermission from the camp. During that time I decided to get a haircut. I figured I’d test the waters and see how they would cut my hair. It’s simple enough. I normally just get a regular buzz cut.

Sitting in the seat, I watched the mirrored figure before me turn from something familiar to something “fresh”. She cut only the sides and back to my desired length and left the top like a plateau. She gave me a flat top. I asked her nicely to make it shorter but she wouldn’t have it. She refused to give me what I wanted and for the next three weeks or so I felt like the Fresh Prince of Ukraine. In addition, the haircut was tilted and I don’t think that was done on purpose.



(You can't see how flat it actually is in this picture.)

The next day I was to go back to camp so I didn’t get a chance to fix it. I just kept it. It was a little weird but I didn’t mind too much. How could I really care what people think about my hair in a place where the mullet is popular? Yes you read that correctly. In the words of Chris Miller, a clustermate, “the mullet in Ukraine is alive and thriving”.

I won’t post a picture of a mullet because that’s not necessary. However, the day I was coming to site at the train station, I saw what may have been the weirdest hairstyle on a girl I’ve ever noticed. It was like a girl version of a mullet but it was like 2 haircuts in one. I’m not even going to try to explain it anymore. Just take a look:



Anyway, back to my hair. When I came back from camp, I bought some clippers so that I could cut my own hair. It’ll pay for itself in about 3-4 uses. However, since I’ve been back, all I’ve been doing is sweating. The past 5 days or so I’ve been sweating nonstop. Literally nonstop. I sweat when I’m sleeping. I sweat when I’m eating. I sweat constantly. Due to the constant sweating, I’ll wait ‘til the weather cools a little before I fix my hair. By the way, when else will I ever wear a flat top?

No comments:

Post a Comment